Monday 23 May 2016

Ignorance – Blissful or Dangerous?


Being in a people function, sometimes I feel to ignore some people over certain petty issues which I come across - say in terms of casual discussions, debates or issues. Somehow, I refrain myself in doing so. Thomas Gray in his Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College coined the term ‘Ignorance is blissful’ – but is it really the same or is it dangerous?

Source: Google images
Ignorance, to my understanding means being uninformed, lack of knowledge or sometimes say not being open to humor, wit, sarcasm or criticism. It may also imply a lack of desire to introspect yourselves which eventually may lead to hopelessness and cynicism.

There may be certain situations where you are happier not knowing the truth. Being ‘ignorant’ following your own way in life could make you more efficient and happier. Spiritually, detaching yourself from the materialistic pleasures is a way of attaining happiness. Thus, it can have a place in life for a while.

Thomas Gray in his poetry was reminiscing his childhood unmarred by the dark realities of adult life. He also indicates that he is able to escape worries of the world as an adult by ignoring them.   

However, I found it quite ironic, that after so many years of exploration, when information can be attained easily especially in a world of 24/7 news, social media, and easy internet access – enjoying ignorance can be dangerous. Being uneducated and unaware is not blissful. Your ignorance will keep you working on mediocre things. Not knowing isn't even a bad excuse anymore: It's a death sentence these days.

So what can be an alternative? Is ignorance blissful or is it dangerous? I feel, putting it simply as ‘learning’ both ways (outside & inside) can lead to a blissful life. We should be ignorant enough to allow our mind to rest and enjoy - rather than always chasing information. But, learning and understanding the ‘uninformed’ facets around ourselves can definitely lead to blissful life. 


Follow me:
Twitter @prateekaloni


(views expressed are personal) 

7 comments:

  1. Ignorance is dangerous, for your own conscience and peace of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very attention-grabbing diary. lots of blogs I see recently do not extremely give something that attract others, however i am most positively fascinated by this one. simply thought that i'd post and allow you to apprehend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome work.Just wished to drop a comment and say i'm new your journal and adore what i'm reading.Thanks for the share

    ReplyDelete